Monday, July 10, 2006

Summer and Google

OK, so I just looked at my blog and the last post was about skiing. In February. And I'm sitting here sunburned after spending a bunch of time at the pool yesterday. At that rate I only have to do another two posts this year.

In any case, I'm starting to become a Google bigot. Not because of the search engine (which is my default search engine and which everyone takes for granted) but because of the other cool stuff they are stealthing out on the web. I love Google Calendar (http://www.google.com/calendar). I really think that has the potential to be the next killer app. Imagine a pervasive web calendar where you can say to any of your friends "Hey, I just sent you an invitation for a happy hour next week!". We are used to doing that within the corporate islands, but not socially. There have been web based calendars for a while, but it needs someone like Google to hit a critical mass of people using a new technology.

Another new Google technology is Google Reader http://www.google.com/reader. If you're reading this blog you probably read a number of blogs, news sites, etc. If you haven't played with RSS you really should. And Google Reader is a very nice aggregator. I have used a couple, and Google Reader so far seems very very smooth.

And then, of course, there's Google Earth, Google Maps, etc.

I think their business model is "lets do the internet better than anyone else"...and so far they seem to be doing a good job.


Comments: Post a Comment << Home